The Utah National Guard (UTNG) manages and maintains nearly 500 buildings and structures across the state. Most of
these are located at Camp W. G. Williams, the primary training site for the UTNG, which is located approximately 20
miles south of Salt Lake City. Of approximately 300 buildings at Camp Williams, 17 are currently determined to be
eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places. One of these 17, the ca. 1934 Camp Williams Officer’s
Club, was listed on the National Register in 1984. Most of the other eligible buildings were constructed during World
War II as the post was expanding to provide training facilities for the growing number soldiers entering the army.
The UTNG manages three buildings at historic Fort Douglas on Salt Lake’s east bench. The buildings include two ca.
1876 barracks and a ca. 1942 Fire Station. The Fort Douglas military museum is currently housed within the masonry
barracks buildings, while the fire station is utilized for storage and maintenance of some of the museums equipment and
historic vehicles. For information on this historic Army Post and the Military Museum, see www.fortdouglas.org.
Three of Utah’s armories are currently eligible for listing in the National Register as well. These include the ca.
1938 Fillmore Armory, the ca. 1956 American Fork and Springville Armories, the ca. 1957 Price Armory, the ca. 1958 Lehi
Armory and the ca. 1959 Ogden Armory.
The UTNG recently completed the renovation of Hangar 5 at the historic Wendover Airfield. The ca. 1944 metal hangar
was constructed as a heavy bomber maintenance hangar for B-17 and B-24 squadrons that trained at the base. The hangar
is part of the Wendover Air Force Base Historic District which is managed by Tooele County. For more information on the
airfield and its history, see www.wendoverairbase.com/museum.